Scheduling your employees
You can schedule your employees by assigning shifts to them. The shifts, including their default start and end times and their breaks, are defined by your system administrator. When assigning a shift, you can override the default shift times and add a note for the employee.
Shift assignments must be published before the employee can see them on their schedule. You can choose to publish the shift while you are assigning it or you can wait until later.
Consider using the Shift Assignment report template to find current shift assignments, and shifts that have not yet been assigned.
To assign a shift to an employee:
- Go to Schedule.
All the employees who are set up for shift scheduling are shown in the table.
- Navigate to the period that you want to schedule by clicking the arrows next to the dates or by clicking on the dates themselves.
- Use the filters to search for specific users and find the row for the user you want to schedule.
Any time off the user has booked is shown on the schedule.
You can use the No User row to plan out the shifts you need for each day before assigning them to users. This helps ensure you have adequate coverage for the day.
- Under the date you want to schedule the user for, click the icon on the right edge of the cell.
Move your mouse over the area to see the icon.
- Select the shift you want to assign for that day.
- If needed, edit the default shift times.
- Enter a note for the employee in the Note field.
- If you want to publish the shift right away, change the Status to Published.
If not, you can publish it later, once the schedule is finalized.
- Click Save.
The shift assignment is shown in the table, color-coded based on the selected shift. If you changed the shift times from their default values, the new times are shown under the shift name.
After adding shift assignments, you can see the number of shifts scheduled for each day and the total work hours. You can also see the total work hours and break hours for each user.
Instead of assigning shifts individually, you can assign a shift to multiple users at once, or assign a shift for multiple days.
To assign multiple shifts at once:
- Go to Schedule.
- Click the More button and select Add Assignments.
- Select the users to assign the shift to from the Select Users drop-down.
You can enter text to search and you can select multiple users. To assign the shift to all users, select All Users.
- Select the date range for which to assign the shift.
- Choose which days to assign the shift.
- Select the shift to assign.
- Edit the default shift times if necessary and add a note for the employees.
- Click Apply.
The shift is assigned to the selected users for the selected dates.
- Click Close to exit or click Continue Editing to assign shifts to other users.
After the shifts assignments are created, publish them to make them visible to the employees.
Why can’t I see some employees on the Schedule page?
The employee may not be set up for shift scheduling. Alternatively, your administrator may have limited your access to specific groups of employees.
How can we easily move or copy shifts when adding and editing assignments?
You can drag and drop shifts, either individually or as a group. To do this, select a shift and drag it to a new cell while holding down the selection button. To move multiple shifts, drag over the shifts to select them, or select individual shifts while pressing the Ctrl button (PC) or Command button (Mac), then click on and drag one of the selected shifts.
You can copy a shift across a row or column by selecting a cell, and dragging the orange box that displays horizontally or vertically.
How can we delete multiple shifts?
Drag over multiple shifts to select them, or select individual shifts while pressing the Ctrl button (PC) or Command button (Mac). Then, click the Remove button at the top of the page.
You can also go to More > Delete Assignments, to choose shifts to delete.
How are users notified about changes in shifts?
Typically, administrators enable the shift notification that informs users about new shifts, or updates to existing shift assignments. You can ask your Replicon Administrator to enable notifications for your team.