Handling availability limitations when allocating resources to a project
As you fulfill resource requests, you may face availability limitations caused by a resource’s other allocations, variable work schedules, part-time employment, and time off.
Polaris offers time off aware allocation, also known as SmartFit, to help you work around availability limitations. SmartFit will automatically account for time off when allocating hours, based on the option you select:
- Over-allocate the resource
- Allocate only what fits
- Re-distribute the allocation hours, or
- Allow the allocation to fall outside the requested date range
For example, if a resource has June 1-12 booked for vacation, and you try to book them for the month of June, you can choose to redistribute the allocation so that hours are only allocated to June 13 - 30.
You can also manually fine-tune allocations instead of, or in addition to, using SmartFit.
Distributing allocation hours around existing commitments
To apply a SmartFit option when allocating:
- Allocate a resource to a project as normal on one of these pages:
- Resource Allocation > Pending
- Resource Allocation > Quick Allocation, or
- Resourcing > Resource Plan for a project
When you select a resource or attempt to add an allocation for a resource who isn't fully available to carry out that allocation, a dialog with SmartFit options displays.
Refer to About the SmartFit options below to learn more about each option.
- Select an option.
Polaris will automatically re-distribute the allocation.
About the SmartFit options
If a resource isn't fully available for the duration of a proposed allocation, you'll be presented with up to four possible options to work around the conflict:
Allocate Full Amount…
Allocates the full amount leaving some part of the duration overallocated
Allocate What Fits… Allocates only the hours that are available, leaving the remaining hours unallocated, while ensuring no overallocation or disruption to other commitments
Redistribute Allocation… Distributes all the hours keeping them strictly within the requested date range, and if necessary, over allocating the resource
Extend the Allocation...
Allocates all the hours by extending the allocation beyond the project duration
Manually fine-tuning allocations
If more fine-tuning is needed, you can manually edit the allocation hours.
To fine-tune the allocations:
- Double-click the hours or drag the handle of the allocation bar across the month (or week).
As you are fine-tuning, the summary bar (located at the bottom of the resource list), dynamically shows the summary of the allocations you have made, the pending hours to be allocated, and whether you have exceeded the allocation.
- Once you’ve selected a resource and fine-tuned the allocation hours, click the Complete Allocation button to propose the selected resource to the project manager.
What happens if a user adds time off after an allocation is in place?
It won't change the allocation.
Can I fine-tune the hours even if there isn't a conflict?
Yes, you can.
What do the colors on the allocation bars indicate?
The colors show whether the resource is fully allocated, under-allocated, etc, as follows:
- White indicates the resource is free with no allocations
- Grey indicates Time-off
- Dark Green indicates fully allocated for the duration
- Light Green indicates allocated, but not fully
- Purple indicates overallocation
- Blue bar below the resource’s current allocations indicates the new allocation you added, while proposing the resource