Installing and using Polaris PSA for Salesforce
A ready-to-integrate edition of our Polaris product is available via the Salesforce AppExchange marketplace.
This product is intended primarily for new Polaris customers who find us via the Salesforce marketplace.
What is transferred?
The connector included in this product allows you to automatically transfer the following data from Salesforce to Polaris:
- Opportunities, transferred as projects in Polaris
- Accounts, transferred as clients
- Users, transferred as users
Transfers are triggered automatically, based on sync settings you configure.
Once transferred, users can record time and expenses against projects, and managers can track progress and bill clients for project work.
Trialing Polaris for Salesforce
To trial these editions, go to appexchange.salesforce.com and search for Polaris. There are two trial options - Test Drive and Get It Now.
- We’ll enroll you in view-only, preconfigured demo instances of Polaris PSA and Salesforce
- Use this option to get a quick sense of the Polaris interface
- Includes matching sample opportunities and projects
- You’ll need to be logged in to Salesforce; you can log in as a guest, if needed
Try it out
- We’ll set you up with a live trial of Polaris PSA, connected with your Salesforce production or sandbox instance
- You’ll need to be logged in to a developer/professional edition of Salesforce with administrative access
- Includes Polaris sample data
- You can choose your own sync criteria for opportunities, clients, and users when you set up the trial
Product purchase happens offline, not in the Salesforce AppExchange. If you have any questions, please contact Replicon Support.
How do I change the transfer criteria after purchasing Polaris PSA for Salesforce?
To update settings, go to Administration > Integrations > Salesforce Integration in Polaris.
If we change sync settings, is data that was already transferred impacted?
No. Sync criteria only applies to opportunities, accounts, and users existing in Salesforce, and does not change previously transferred items.
What does Based On Opportunity Sync mean?
This is a sync criterion available for accounts and users. It means accounts and users associated with an opportunity that has synced, will also sync. This is a commonly-used setting for account and user transfers.
When we first connect, will all existing Salesforce accounts, opportunities, and users transfer?
All accounts, opportunities, clients, and users that meet the sync criteria will transfer, yes, usually instantaneously.
When the integration is first enabled, only accounts created in the last day are transferred. Each time a new account is added in Salesforce, it is transferred within minutes.
If I update an opportunity, account, or user in Salesforce, will it update automatically in Polaris?
If you change a previously transferred account, the client in Polaris PSA is automatically updated with those same changes, according to the mappings in the table above.
If an opportunity’s Name or Description is changed, the project in Polaris is automatically updated with those same changes.
Disabling or removing the connector
How do I disable the integration?
You can also disable the integration from the Administration > Integrations > Salesforce Integration page.
When you re-enable it, it will by default resume from the date it was disabled. However, you can override the default date by selecting the link in the re-enable Confirm dialog.
You might, for example, want to skip some dates, if you were reorganizing opportunities in Salesforce, and you only want the resulting opportunities to be transferred.
How do I remove the connector from Salesforce?
To remove the connector, go to Installed Packages in Salesforce. The connector app should be listed there, named Polaris PSA for Salesforce. Click Uninstall to remove it.
About app updates
Will Polaris or the integration connector app ever need updating?
Polaris PSA for Salesforce is a cloud-based app that will automatically update over time. We might also update the connector app installed in Salesforce occasionally. If we do, Salesforce will send you notification that a new version is available, and you’ll be able to upgrade by clicking the Get It Now button for Polaris in the AppExchange.
How can I find out about updates to Polaris PSA for Salesforce?
Product changes are described in Replicon’s release notes, which are posted on the Product Updates tab in the Replicon community. To keep up to date, you can subscribe to have product updates emailed directly to your inbox.
How this product compares to Polaris PSA
How is the Salesforce version of Polaris PSA different from the standard Polaris PSA product?
Polaris PSA for Salesforce is identical to the standard version of Polaris PSA, except:
- It comes with a pre-installed integration connector app that connects it to Salesforce
- It is set up with Salesforce SSO (which can easily configured in the standard product)
- It’s sync criteria options are slightly different than those offered in our out of the box Salesforce integration, which is available at Administration > Integration > Integration Settings
How are the sync criteria different in the Salesforce edition?
The options are very similar – in both integrations, you can sync accounts based on type, and opportunities based on type, stage, or probability, or some combination of those.
In the Salesforce edition:
- You can also choose to sync all or no opportunities or accounts.
- You can sync users explicitly – for your user account only, all users, or users with specific user profiles, or
- You can choose to sync accounts and users based on the opportunity they’re associated with
Unlike the out of the box integration, in the Salesforce edition:
- You can’t block items from updating when they’re changed in Salesforce, and
- You can’t choose to sync items without a type assigned
The field mappings are also a bit different, between the two integrations.
Should I switch from using the out of the box integration to this product?
For most existing customers who integrate with Salesforce, there’s no benefit to switching to the Salesforce edition.
However, you can easily add the Salesforce connector to your existing Polaris PSA instance, by choosing the Get It Now option on the Polaris page in the Salesforce AppExchange, and once the connector is installed, selecting the I already have a Polaris Login, Sync to my existing Polaris Account link that displays.
If you’re interested in finding out more, talk to your Customer Success manager, or to Replicon Support.
Integrating with Polaris
Gaining business intelligence using your Replicon data
Using Replicon reports
Using data import to mass add, update, and delete data
Understanding how third-party tools integrate with Polaris