Applying payments to bills
Once a client has submitted a payment, you can apply it to the corresponding bill or bills in your system. You can pay a bill fully, partially, or you can pay two or more bills using one payment.
Project managers can only apply payments to existing bills for their projects; they can’t create new independent payments not associated with existing bills.
When you apply payment to an existing bill, you can’t make partial payment – the full amount of the item will automatically be applied.
A payment can have a status of allocated, unallocated, or partially allocated, as shown on the Billing > Transactions page.
- Go to Billing, and select Transactions; Or, select Projects in the side menu, choose a project, and click the Billing & Invoicing tab. Then, click the Edit button located at the top, right-hand corner of the page.
Then, hover over the icon located at the bottom, right-hand corner of the page, and select the Payment icon (not the word ‘Payment’).
Open or create a bill, and click Payments > + PAYMENT > + Payment
- Select a client to pay, enter a reference number, and update any other fields, if needed.
- Add amounts, and allocate them to bills.
- Click Add Payment.
- Open or create a payment, and add the payment amount in the Amount Received field located in the page payment’s header.
- Expand the Outstanding Bills section.
- Allocate the payment to unpaid or partially paid bills for the client. Bills for that client with outstanding balances due will display by default.
The total amount you allocate must be less than the total amount of the payment. You can divide the amount any way you choose.
You can leave an outstanding balance on the payment to be applied later, if you like.
Can I create a payment or credit memo now, and apply it to a bill later?
Yes, you might want to do that to keep track of credits due and payments received.
When you want to apply payment or credit, either open the payment or credit memo and apply the amount to a bill, or open a bill and apply the amount.